What is Caprese? I learned it is a great combination of flavors that taste especially light and healthy when it is hot outside and tomatoes are fresh! Caprese means a salad in the style of “Capri”. From Italy, it is a simple salad made with mozzarella cheese, tomato and basil.
I have seen versions of this salad in many Food Network and other television cooking shows and in many magazines. I realized which flavors I liked, and that I could use them in a salad or in a sandwich. As I have mentioned before, you can adjust amounts to your taste and what you have available. This is my version, depending on what ingredients I usually have in the fridge.
Summer Caprese Salad
1/2 cup cherry or grape tomatoes (cut in half to bite size pieces)
1/4 cup diced mozzarella cheese (any variety)
3 Tablespoons olive oil (approximate)
1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1-3 cloves of garlic (chopped)
3 leaves of fresh basil (chopped or torn)
Mix ingredients and let sit for 2-3 minutes till the flavors really combine well. Enjoy!
Tips: Suggestions if you don’t have exact ingredients…..
- You can use pieces of mozzarella string cheese cut to bite size.
- You can use 1/2 to 1 teaspoon garlic powder instead of fresh.
- You can use a squirt of basil from packaged basil in a tube.
- You can chop up any kind of regular tomato instead of the cherry tomatoes.
Summer Caprese Sandwich
Toasted bun or 2 slices of favorite bread
1 thick slice of tomato
1 thick slice of mozzarella cheese
2-3 basil leaves (leave whole)
1/2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
Sprinkle of garlic powder (optional – especially if at work!)
Assemble ingredients onto the toasted bread or bun. I like a thin spread of mayonnaise on my bread, but it is optional. Drizzle the balsamic vinegar carefully. It may be a little messy, but it’s sooo worth it!
- For lower sodium content, I do not add salt and pepper to the salad or sandwich. There is plenty of flavor without!
- If you like onion, you can add that to this sandwich.
- For variety, you can add a slice of bacon and slice of lettuce to make a BLT with mozzarella.
- For transporting to work for a great homemade lunch – take mozzarella and tomato in the balsamic vinegar (marinating in a small plastic zip bag). Place in your work fridge until ready to eat, then place on bread. Taste is amazing because it has marinated for a few hours and no soggy sandwich!